A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Only variable references should be returned by reference

Filename: core/Common.php

Line Number: 257

Scratch Topic - Virtual Grape Gardens

Scratch Topic

A place to discuss ideas when you don't have easy access to Skype or IRC. Newcomers welcome!
Kirbynite
The Jarl of Neo Grape Gardens

Hello! Welcome back to the veterans, and welcome to any newcomers! This topic is basically for people to discuss some ideas or share their thoughts about the ongoings of HSH when they don't have access to IRC or Skype. It's very likely this topic will not get much posts, but it doesn't hurt to have this topic around.

Now, for the newcomers:

High School Hijinx is a role playing story universe thing. You are free to make up completely new characters, or use a "tweaked" version of an existing character you have on your personal roster (in other words, alternate universe (AU) character). It is highly preferred that your main character is a high school sophomore (Grade 10 for those in the USA. Year 11 for some places. Typically ages 15-16.). It's fine if your supporting characters are older/younger or don't even attend school.

Another note about the the school: While it is called "Candoridge High", it is actually a school that houses all school grades. The school also requires students to wear school uniforms, but because of how odd the school is, any uniform is allowed. Please don't be cheeky with saying something like a tank top and jeans is a uniform

So, for example, let's say you have a character that is some badass captain of some ship in other stories you take part in. In this story, this person could be a slightly disgruntled student with aspirations of sailing and owning a ship. This student's school uniform could evoke a sort of "sailor" feeling from it, and may include a small hat that can look like a captain's hat.

Another example for a character is a bespectacled talking dog that wears a tie as a uniform. No one wonders how this dog is capable of writing notes, and no one questions as to why this dog has a (non-talking) rabbit for a pet.

This story does allow for a super natural bend, and, in fact, may have some side stories dip into it, but I ask for everyone to exercise restraint, at least in the beginning Make it so that we always forget the fact that one supporting character 5th grader used to be an an adult and is capable of opening portals.

The school schedule works in an A-B style. That is, you have to attend 8 classes every semester, but they're split up into 4 classes a day. A-Days have the first set of classes, and B-Days have the last set of classes, and these days alternate every day. So the first week of school will go A-B-A-B-A, and the second week is B-A-B-A-B. If this is confusing, please let me know. We'll figure out what classes everyone will be attending later on.

In regards to role playing style: Try to refrain from controlling the actions of characters that're not controlled by you. If the character is known to be a "public NPC", then it's fine. Also, it's up to you on whether you want to adopt a "script" style of writing or not. I, personally, use a different style depending on what character is my focus.

Also, for the love of all things good, please do not post huge, solid blocks of text. Make your words easier to digest with paragraphs. You can have plenty of paragraphs, just.. remember to hit enter every so often.

One last thing, for formatting, you can use <i></i> or [i][/i] for italics, <b></b> or [b][/b] for bold. I, and some others, use italics for our descriptive paragraphs, and turn off italics for actual conversations.
Kirbynite

Behold, I have brought forth a ground breaking new innovation to HSH, and it's only the first post! The feel of a light novel!

Hah? Haaah? Is it not breath taking?

Seriously, though, I just felt like doodling it.

Edit: In hindsight, it's probably in my own self interest that I avoid the "feel of a light novel" outside of incorporating pictures.
Kirbynite

So, an early rough draft of the seating:

Tyty
Can you not understand the words that are commin' outta my mouth?
So. Class schedules. How are we going to handle them this time?

In the past things we've done it was kinda messy and we ended up with classes with only one or two students in them in the electives, and even a couple characters separated in different core classes. I was hoping we'd have a clean way to handle it this time, at the least, be it skipping some of the classes or everyone conveniently having the same interests or whatever.
Kirbynite

I know there was a discussion about this, but I have actually lost the history to it!

In any case, I think it wouldn't hurt to do both. Clearly, we all know art is going to be chosen by all, of course! (Okay, I'm not sure about that, but I feel like that may be the safest bet.)

I'll have to check in with the new peeps on what other shared elective we can have.. Well, assuming I can grab them from their busy schedules, haha. But if there's no consensus, we'll just fast forward through the electives.
Tyty
Can you not understand the words that are commin' outta my mouth?
Jill wouldn't be in art, but there's the advantage of having two characters. It'd still be worth it to me to show art class if the vast majority is in it (like it feels it will be)

Plus it has the most important teacher.
Quick Reply!